HGTV's Tiffany Brooks shares her tricks of the trade for home decorating and interior design.
OUTDOOR FIRE PITS AND CAMPFIRES
Enjoy your deck or patio on chilly spring afternoons, crisp fall days or occasionally cool summer nights, with the warmth from a beautiful natural gas fire pit or fireplace. To determine whether a fire pit or fireplace is best for your home, contact your contractor.
A one-time set-up and a connection to your home's gas line eliminates the work of chopping and hauling firewood. Get the comfort of an outdoor fire pit with the simple turn of a knob. When you're done, just turn it off and forget about messy ash cleanup.
Location and Styles:
- Consider the type of surface your outdoor fireplace or campfire will sit on and how much room is around it.
- Outdoor fireplace styles are endless. Choose from full-size, built-in fireplaces, the charm of chimineas and the rustic feel of fire pits.
Log Types and Surrounds:
- Logs are crafted to simulate the look of real wood and are available in a variety of wood types. Many are split and charred for added realism.
- Additional outdoor fireplace and campfire options include remote control, wall-mounted on/off switches, safety screens and grilling capabilities.
- Build your own fire pit surround or choose from prefabricated surrounds, such as small cast iron bases to use in a smaller backyard.
Ignition and Burners:
- Electronic ignitions enable an easy, instant start to a warm fire with the push of a button or turn of a knob.
- Some models have safety shut-off valves and automatically relight the burner if the wind should blow the flame out.
- High-input burners made of ceramic or stainless steel provide instant heat to the surrounding area.
- Models with variable flame control allow you to adjust your fire and turn it on and off in an instant.
It is important to have your gas appliance installed, inspected and serviced by a licensed professional.
We recommend that you hire a knowledgeable, experienced, licensed trade professional to install your natural gas appliances. Also, remember to inquire about financing options and rebate and incentive savings on high-efficiency products.
To find a contractor, please enter your zip code below and select an appliance.
Find a Contractor
Make eco-conscious decisions when purchasing products for your home.
Three communities strive for sustainable living in the region.
Kitchen design advice from area pros.