The latest trends for the sustainable home’s heart
NATURAL GAS FIREPLACES
Natural gas fireplaces simulate the look of real wood – with none of the hassles. A burner creates flames, which, unlike the pure blue flame on your cook top, can dance with golden hues. Some units even recreate the look of glowing embers beneath the logs.
In addition to beautiful fires, some natural gas fireplaces can provide a substantial amount of heat. The amount of heat from your gas fireplace depends on the type of fireplace you purchase. For the aesthetic effect of a beautiful fire, choose a product certified as a vented natural gas fireplace. For heat as well as the ambiance, choose a vented natural gas fireplace heater or a vent-free room heater.
Look and Feel
- Use natural gas fireplaces as a source of heat.
- For zone heating, look for the product descriptions "vented natural gas fireplace heater" or "vent-free room heater."
- Natural gas fireplaces don't just look like wood fireplaces, they can sound and smell like them too.
- The "logs" are available in a variety of wood styles.
- Natural draft gas fireplaces vent through the roof using a relined masonry, metal chimney or newly installed "B-vent."
- Direct-vent fireplace products can be vented vertically or horizontally so a conventional chimney is not needed, providing greater location flexibility.
- Vent-free gas products draw air from the inside of the home and burn so efficiently that there is no need for venting. They're the optimal choice as an additional heat source.
- Vented fireplace log sets offer the lowest initial cost and simplest installation -- right into existing wood-burning fireplaces -- and are mostly decorative.
- Fireplace inserts are self-contained units that are efficient sources of supplemental heat.
- Factory-built natural gas fireplaces can be added to most rooms -- neither an existing fireplace nor a chimney is needed. Available in a variety of models, they are great for remodeling or new home construction.
- Freestanding stoves are self-contained units that resemble old-fashioned wood burning stoves. They are available in both contemporary and traditional styles, in an array of colors and most have a fire-viewing area.
It is important to have your gas appliance installed, inspected and serviced by a licensed professional.
We recommend that you hire a knowledgeable, experienced, licensed trade professional to install your natural gas appliances. Also, remember to inquire about financing options and rebate and incentive savings on high-efficiency products.
To find a contractor, please enter your zip code below and select an appliance.
Find a Contractor
Government agencies are striving to achieve the highest standards for green affordable housing.
Small life changes you can make to be more sustainable
The Junior Achievement champions young people with work readiness programs