Washington Gas, in partnership with HP Hood LLC, ZF Energy Development and GENEDGE, hosted a Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Lunch & Learn.
New program provides savings for multifamily builders, developers and property owners
The Washington Gas Multifamily Piping Program* was created to help lower first costs for builders and developers who choose efficient, comfortable, safe and reliable natural gas as the primary energy solution in multifamily projects.
Property owners and managers of existing complexes with either full electricity or single‑building gas meter(s) can also benefit from the program by converting their building(s) to individual tenant-controlled natural gas meters.
Before you build your next multifamily project or retrofit your existing apartment building(s), consider partnering with Washington Gas. Your project may be eligible to receive a contribution to offset the cost of installing gas piping from the outlet of each meter to every residence. Reimbursement amounts will vary by project, up to the actual cost of installing the gas piping. In some cases, the contribution your project is eligible to receive may cover your internal piping cost completely. With this program, not only will you receive a reimbursement for your investment, your tenants will receive value.
- Upfront costs for new construction may be reduced substantially
- Utility bill responsibility will be transferred from the owner/manager to the tenants for existing complex conversions
- Tenants will be encouraged to conserve energy
- Project (apartment or condo) must be individually metered with four or more units
- Must be located within the Washington Gas service territory
- Must be approved for the program after undergoing the required Washington Gas cost-benefit lifecycle evaluation
- New construction applicants must be in the planning (pre-groundbreaking) stage of development
- Conversion applicants must be for a building with either full electricity or single‑building gas meter(s)
- Must agree to submit documentation of the internal piping installation cost upon completion of the work.
* Note: The Multifamily Piping Program is only available for a limited amount time with limited funds available in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
To learn more, simply fill out the form below and a Washington Gas representative will get in touch.