New piping program provides savings for Virginia builders and developers
Whether you are in the planning stages of a new construction multifamily unit or own an existing complex, Washington Gas provides financial solutions for choosing natural gas
The Washington Gas Maryland Multifamily Piping Program can help builders and developers lower first costs when they choose natural gas for a new multifamily project in Maryland.
Property owners and managers of existing Maryland complexes with either full electricity or single‑building gas meter(s) can also benefit from the program by converting their building(s) to individual tenant-controlled natural gas meters.
Your project may be eligible to receive a contribution to offset the cost of installing gas piping from the outlet of each meter to every residence. Reimbursement amounts will vary by project, up to the actual cost of installing the gas piping. In some cases, the contribution your project is eligible to receive may cover your internal piping cost completely. With this program, not only will you receive a reimbursement for your investment, your tenants will receive value.
- Upfront costs for new construction may be reduced substantially
- Utility bill responsibility will be transferred from the owner/manager to the tenants for existing complex conversions
- Tenants will be encouraged to conserve energy
- Project (apartment or condo) must be individually metered with four or more units
- Must be located within the Washington Gas Maryland service territory
- Must be approved for the program after undergoing the required Washington Gas cost-benefit lifecycle evaluation
- New construction applicants must be in the planning (pre-groundbreaking) stage of development
- Conversion applicants must be for a building with either full electricity or single‑building gas meter(s)
- Must agree to submit documentation of the cost of the internal piping installation upon completion of the work.