To begin the start/stop service process, please contact us by:
- Calling 844-WASHGAS (927-4427) to speak with a Customer Service representative.
- Submitting the required information online to start or stop natural gas service, safe and securely.
Please keep the following in mind when you request to start or stop natural gas service:
- To start or stop service, please notify us at least two business/working days – excluding weekends and holidays – prior to the date you need service on or off. We require at least 48 hours notice – excluding weekends and holidays – to start or stop your service.
- Customers will be charged a fee to start service – see the Service Initiation Fee chart below.
- We may require a security deposit to open or maintain your service, depending on your payment record.
- Access to your home is required to start service and in some cases to stop service.
Note: If you move during the winter heating season and the gas service is turned off, the water pipes may freeze.
Prior to requesting gas service, please note:
- If you have gas appliances with an electronic ignition, your electric service must be active before we can turn on gas service to your appliances.
- If you have a gas water heater, your water service must be active before we can light the appliance.
If you request Washington Gas stop natural gas service, a Customer Service representative will contact you if they have any questions or if access is required to your meter for a final reading. For stop service requests, please keep the following in mind to ensure your Washington Gas account is closed:
- The customer is responsible for providing access to the gas meter at all reasonable hours and at all times in the event of an emergency.
- If Washington Gas cannot gain access to the meter, e.g., it is inside the dwelling, your account will remain open.
- Failure to request that Washington Gas stop service will cause your account to remain open and you will be responsible for all subsequent charges until your account has been closed.
- Failure to confirm with Washington Gas that your service has been stopped also may cause your account to remain open and you will be responsible for all subsequent charges until your account has been closed.
- Access to your meter is necessary for a final reading. If we cannot read the meter, we will estimate your closing bill.
Service Initiation Fee:
| Fee Type
|| District of Columbia
|Service initiation fee--gas flowing||$33.00||$25.00|
|Service initiation fee--no gas flowing||$37.17||$68.00|| $60.00
|Service initiation fee--gas flowing-read by customer or estimated
|Service initiation fee--gas flowing-read by Washington Gas||$45.00|