Last Updated (11/20/2015)
Privacy Practices at Washington Gas
At Washington Gas, we respect your concerns about privacy.
Information We May Collect
Information that you provide us:
You can access a range of information on washingtongas.com without having to provide us with information about yourself. For example, you can read product, company, employment and investor information without providing personal information. However, for some services, we may request information.
For example, if you choose to register at the Washington Gas eService Center, we will request your name, email address, password and security question. If you elect to pay your gas bill electronically using your personal checking account, we will ask for your routing transit number and account number. We may also collect information when you use the Contact Us feature of the Site. Other information we may request includes, but may not be limited to, your street address, phone number and Washington Gas account number.
Please note that Washington Gas will NOT retain your banking account information, unless you choose to have Washington Gas retain this information. Electing to have Washington Gas save your banking information allows you to avoid providing this information each time you pay your bill electronically. If you opt to NOT have your banking account information stored, you may have to provide this information each time that you pay your bill online.
Information automatically collected from you:
We and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer or mobile device over time and across different websites when you use the Site, such as your Internet Protocol address, your general geographic location, your browser type, your operating system, the pages you view on the Site, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Site and the search terms you enter on the Site. This information allows us to recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Site.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- providing you with products, services or information you request;
- providing you with information about the Site or our services;
- delivering marketing communications, promotional materials or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- customizing your experience when using the Site, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements and/or providing you with content based on your interests;
- improving the Site and the services we provide, such as by better tailoring our content to our users’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Site; and
We may combine any information we collect via the Site with information we collect offline or from other sources and will handle the combined information according to this policy.
How We Share Information
We may disclose the information we collect via the Site:
- to our affiliates and subsidiaries;
- to third parties that provide services to us in connection with our business operations, including, but not limited to, third parties that host our Site, provide Site analytics services, process payments, deliver marketing communications or other information or process employment applications;
- to business partners who that may deliver marketing communications, promotional materials or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- as required by law, such as in response to a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations;
- to affiliates, service providers, advisors, potential transactional partners or other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the consideration, negotiation or completion of a corporate transaction in which we are acquired by or merge with another company or we sell, liquidate or transfer all or a portion of our assets.
In addition, we may share information that does not reasonably identify you, such as user demographics and traffic patterns, with third parties.
Cookies and Monitoring of Web Traffic
If you would like, you can disable your cookies on your Internet browser and continue to use the Site. Each browser is different, so you should check your browser’s “Help” menu or other resources to learn how to change your cookie preferences. Rejecting or blocking cookies may impact how information is presented to you on the Site.
If you would like to opt out of receiving any marketing/product promotional emails from Washington Gas, please complete this form and include the phrase "unsubscribe to promotional emails" in the comments section. Our emails may also include links that allow you to unsubscribe from promotional emails.
If you unsubscribe from Washington Gas promotional emails, we may continue to send you emails about your account or the services you are receiving. And you may continue to receive solicitations from energy marketers. If you wish to opt-out of our Customer Choice Program, you may call 703-750-4504 at any time during the year. However, Washington Gas only updates the list twice annually, once in the spring and again in the fall.
We have administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information collected by the Site. However, no information system can be 100 percent secure and we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. Do not share your passwords or account information with others.
Changes to the Policy
We reserve the right to update or revise this policy at our discretion. Please check the policy periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of any changes to the policy constitutes your acceptance of these changes.
Third Party Sites
Please be aware that you may link to other websites through the Site and these websites may collect information about you. The information practices of those third party sites are not covered by this policy and we are not responsible for their practices. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website that you visit.
If you have any questions about this Policy or our use of the information we collect via the Site, please contact us.