For more than 167 years, Washington Gas has been an integral part of the growing metropolitan Washington, D.C. region. As a responsible corporate citizen, Washington Gas has developed a Charitable Giving Program that is designed to make a meaningful and lasting impact on the communities it serves through contributions, in-kind support and volunteer resources.
The Charitable Giving Program focuses on three primary areas: education, the environment and health.
Emphasis is placed on educational activities targeted toward youths in the kindergarten to twelfth grade age range. Attention is given to the development of math, science, technology and business skills. Consideration is also given to arts-related programs.
The focus in this area is on programs that promote cleaner air and water and that protect and preserve the ecological system of the metropolitan region.
Consideration is given to health organizations that strive to improve the health and well-being of individuals within the community. Emphasis is also placed on energy assistance programs for low-income residents to heat and cool their homes, reducing illness and casualties resulting from exposure to extreme temperatures.
An organization requesting support must have 501(c)(3) status.
- Support is provided for specific programs rather than for general funding.
- Support is not provided to religious organizations for sectarian purposes, political associations or to organizations with strictly a sports focus.
- Support is not provided to individuals or to capital or endowment campaigns.
- Any request for support must be in writing and contain the information outlined on this web page.
- Support is provided primarily in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
- Please allow at least 15 business days for us to consider your request.
What to include in a funding proposal:
Requests should be sent in the format outlined below:
- Letter date
- Organization’s name and contact information
- Organization’s federal tax-exemption number
- Contact person’s name, title, and contact information
- Dollar amount of funding request
- Organization’s current budget (attach separately)
- Copy of requesting organization’s 501(c)3 IRS letter
- List of board members and other key affiliates
Items below must not exceed a combined total of four pages:
- Brief history and mission of the organization
- Detailed description of the program to be funded
- Explanation as to why Washington Gas is considered to be an appropriate donor and how the local community will benefit from the program
- Methodology for measuring and evaluating program success
- Description of promotional plans for the program or event
- What you hope to accomplish (outputs and/or outcomes)
- How you intend to accomplish the above
For more information about our corporate contributions program, please contact:Tracye Funn
Manager, Corporate Public Policy
101 Constitution Avenue, NW, 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20080