Corporate and Executive Summary
The WGL family of companies—Washington Gas, WGL Energy, WGL Midstream and Hampshire Gas—are indirect, wholly-owned subsidiaries of AltaGas Ltd. WGL is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and is a leading source for clean, efficient and diverse energy solutions. With activities and assets across the U.S., WGL provides options for natural gas, electricity, green power and energy services, including generation, storage, transportation, distribution, supply and efficiency.
WGL’s regulated utility, Washington Gas, was founded in 1848, through a Congressional charter signed into law by President James K. Polk. The new company installed gas lights in the House and Senate chambers, the White House and along Pennsylvania Avenue. As the 20th century dawned, Washington Gas expanded into Virginia and Maryland. For more on the history of Washington Gas, please see the reference materials below.
Today, Washington Gas provides safe, reliable natural gas service to more than 1.2 million customers in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. The company has been providing energy to residential, commercial and industrial customers for 170 years. Clean-burning natural gas is the fuel of choice for more than nine out of 10 new home buyers in the D.C. metro area.
In addition to Washington Gas, WGL consists of:
- WGL Energy - A leader in efficient and environmentally-friendly energy technology solutions, WGL Energy delivers a full ecosystem of energy offerings including natural gas, electricity, green power, carbon reduction, distributed generation and energy efficiency.
- WGL Midstream - An expanding natural gas distribution business, WGL Midstream specializes in the investment, management, development and optimization of natural gas storage and transportation projects. WGL Midstream’s customers and counterparties include producers, utilities, LNG exporters, local distribution companies, power generators, wholesale energy suppliers, pipelines and storage facilities.
- Hampshire Gas - An owner and operator of interests in natural gas storage facilities in and around Hampshire County, W.V., Hampshire Gas provides exclusive storage services to Washington Gas.
Whether you are a homeowner or renter, small business or multinational corporation, state, local or federal agency, WGL’s calling is to make energy surprisingly easy for our employees, community and all our customers.
Resources - Washington Gas History
Growing with Washington, Part 2 - A History of Washington Gas 1948-2012:
Preface and Chapter 1: 1948-1959 (PDF)
Chapter 2: 1960-1969 (PDF)
Chapter 3: 1970-1979 (PDF)
Chapter 4: 1980-1989 (PDF)
Chapter 5: 1990-1999 (PDF)
Chapter 6: 2000-Present, and Epilogue (PDF)
Washington Gas Light Company, an indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary of AltaGas, is a natural gas utility that serves more than one million customers in Washington, D.C. and surrounding regions in Maryland and Virginia.
Governance is paramount to our objective of delivering natural gas safely, reliably and cost-effectively. We are proud to note that many of the corporate governance standards currently mandated by legislation and regulation have been long-standing practices of the company and our Board of Directors.
Listed below are noteworthy aspects of our corporate governance practices:
- Our Board is composed of a majority of independent directors. All members of the Audit Committee are independent.
- The entire Board of Directors is elected annually.
- Washington Gas does not make loans to officers and directors.
- Independent members of the Board meet routinely in executive sessions without company management present. This practice facilitates objective discussions between the independent directors regarding important issues facing the company.
- The Board's Audit Committee has sole decision-making authority with regard to the appointment, compensation and oversight of the company's independent auditor. In addition, the Internal Auditor reports to the Chair of the Audit Committee.
Concerns or complaints regarding financial, accounting, auditing and related matters can be submitted confidentially or anonymously through our Corporate Compliance Hotline at 844-703-8114. This hotline also provides a method for communication with directors who are not company employees.
Corporate Governance Documents:
- Corporate Governance Guidelines (PDF)
- Corporate Code Of Business Ethics (PDF)
- Washington Gas Bylaws (PDF) - effective July 6, 2018
- Articles of Incorporation (PDF)
- Director Independence Standards (PDF)
The corporate governance documents referenced may be revised by the Company, when appropriate. Please note, the linked documents are not official copies of Company records and should not be relied upon as complete and accurate copies as they may not reflect current revisions.
Board of Directors
Donald "Blue" Jenkins
Randall L. Crawford
James W. Dyke, Jr.
Linda R. Gooden
M. Elise Hyland
Dale S. Rosenthal
Deborah S. Stein
(Updated January 2020)
Committee Charter (PDF)
Dale S. Rosenthal (Chair)
Linda R. Gooden
Deborah S. Stein
Board of Directors
Learn more about our Board of Directors:
- Randall L. Crawford (Chairman)
- Donald "Blue" Jenkins
- James W. Dyke, Jr.
- Linda R. Gooden
- M. Elise Hyland
- Dale S. Rosenthal
- Deborah S. Stein
- Donald Blue Jenkins – President
- Colleen Starring – Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
- Wendy Zelond – Senior Vice President, Finance, Utilities
- Karen M. Hardwick – Senior Vice President and General Counsel, WGL Holdings, Inc. and Washington Gas
- James Steffes – Senior Vice President, Regulatory
- Andrea Coughlin-Rowley – Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Mallik Angalakudati – Senior Vice President, Strategy & Innovation, Utilities
- Peter Ledig – Senior Vice President, Commercial, Utilities
- Michelle Musgrove – Vice President of Customer Experience