Washington Gas is committed to helping customers stay safe and warm through the winter. We know that no matter how mild or severe the winter weather may be, energy costs can strain household budgets. To help you prepare for the upcoming heating season, we have compiled important information about energy efficiency, energy conservation and energy assistance.
Customers who have difficulty paying their natural gas bills should contact Washington Gas at 844-WASHGAS as soon as possible to learn about alternative payment plans that may be available.
Washington Area Fuel Fund
The Washington Area Fuel Fund (WAFF) is Washington Gas' signature philanthropic program.
Founded by Washington Gas and administered by The Salvation Army, WAFF helps families who do not qualify for, or who have exhausted, government energy assistance. WAFF pays for all types of fuel to heat families’ homes during the winter season. Washington Gas pays the administrative fees so that 100 percent of WAFF contributions go to those who need assistance.
An unforeseen financial crisis brought on by an accident, medical problem or loss of income can cause a family to face a winter without heat. It might be a family with children or a senior citizen who are forced to choose between food and warmth. When all other government assistance has run out, or simply is not available, WAFF is the last safety net.
Since WAFF’s inception in 1983, nearly $26 million has been raised to help 281,000 residents in the D.C. metro area. WAFF relies heavily on the kindness and generosity of our neighbors to help provide heating assistance.
WAFF assistance is available between January 1 and May 31 of each year through The Salvation Army’s 12 area offices. For more information or to apply for assistance, contact The Salvation Army at 888-318-WAFF (9233) or visit http://waffhelp.org/ to receive more information, including the location and phone number for the office in your area.
You can donate to WAFF in the following ways:
- Visit http://waffhelp.org/ and make a one-time or recurring donation.
- Monthly pledge: The donation will be included in your bill every month, and you can cancel it at any time. To obtain a pledge form, visit http://waffhelp.org/ or download the pledge form here.
- One-time donation: Add a WAFF donation to your gas payment anytime during the year:
- Mark the WAFF checkbox on your bill stub
- Write in your donation amount
- Add that amount to your gas bill
- Mail a donation. Make your check payable to WAFF and send it to P.O. Box 1999, Washington, DC 20013.
- Donate when paying your Washington Gas bill online (washingtongas.com), through mail, or by phone (Automated Services Line - 703-750-7944).
Washington Area Fuel Fund Brochure (Información en Español)