The Washington Area Fuel Fund
More than 35 years ago, Washington Gas and The Salvation Army created the Washington Area Fuel Fund (WAFF) to help families in need pay their heating bills. Since WAFF’s inception in 1983, more than $27 million has helped 283,000 residents in the Washington metropolitan region. Washington Gas pays the administrative fees so that 100 percent of WAFF contributions go to those who need assistance.
Traditionally, WAFF has paid for all types of fuel to heat families’ homes during the winter season. WAFF still does that today, but now, an additional WAFF program – the WAFF Washington Gas Merger Funds Program – is available and creates the opportunity for even more families to receive assistance.
Through its merger with AltaGas, Washington Gas has established the Merger Funds Program to broaden the eligibility for energy assistance for Washington Gas customers. Both low-income and moderate-income customers now may receive WAFF funds, in addition to the traditional WAFF assistance provided for other types of fuel.
To be eligible for assistance through the Merger Funds Program, the following criteria must be met:
1. You must reside in the Washington Gas service territory.
This includes: Washington, D.C.; the Maryland counties of Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Montgomery, Prince George’s or St. Mary’s; the Virginia counties of Arlington, Clarke, Fairfax, Frederick, Loudoun, Prince William, Shenandoah or Warren, or the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church or Winchester.
2. You must be a Washington Gas customer.
3. You must be in an emergency situation, either having service disconnected or having received a disconnection notice.
4. You must fall into one of the low-income or moderate-income categories below, depending on family size:
||Low-Income Customers –
Household Annual / Monthly Gross Income
|Moderate-Income Customers –
Household Annual Gross Income
|1||$24,280 / $2,023||$52,550|
|2||$32,920 / $2,743||$60,050|
|3|| $41,560 / $3,463
|4||$50,200 / $4,183||$75,050|
|5||$58,840 / $4,903||$81,100|
|6||$67,480 / $5,623||$87,100|
|7||$76,120 / $6,343||$93,100|
|8||$84,760 / $7,063||$99,100|
| For each additional household member,
add $8,640 annual or $720 Monthly
To learn more about applying for assistance, contact your local Salvation Army office.
Traditional Assistance Still Available
Families who are not Washington Gas customers (but reside in the Washington Gas service territory) are still eligible to receive WAFF assistance no matter what type of fuel you use to heat your homes.
For more information about receiving WAFF assistance, visit www.waffhelp.org.
You can donate to WAFF in the following ways:
- Visit http://waffhelp.org/ and make a one-time or recurring donation.
- Mail a donation. Make your check payable to WAFF and send it to P.O. Box 1999, Washington, DC 20013.
- Monthly pledge: The donation will be included in your bill every month, and you can cancel it at any time. To obtain a pledge form, download the pledge form here.
- One-time donation: Add a WAFF donation to your gas payment anytime during the year:
1. Mark the WAFF checkbox on your bill stub
2. Write in your donation amount
3. Add that amount to your gas bill
- Donate when paying your Washington Gas bill online (washingtongas.com), through mail, or by phone (Automated Services Line - 703-750-7944).
Washington Area Fuel Fund Brochure (Información en Español)